Wednesday, June 8, 2011

We Are Just a Busy Family

I was re-reading some old blogs posts from about 6 months ago. It seems that I go in streaks of talking about how busy we are. And how crazy things have been. Well, in a quick reread --- there are more posts that discuss the busyness than those that reflect on quiet, peaceful, serene days. Easy conclusion: We are a busy family that has a hard time sitting still. There I admitted it. Now, I wish that would make my house magically "Mary Poppins" style clean itself up.....no luck.


I am getting better about letting the house get messy and just enjoying my boys. My mother is always quoting a wonderful poem to me about ".....babies don't keep...." I keep trying to remind myself that there will always be housework but there will not always be a 2 1/2 year old and a baby at my house.

Here is our last busy week.

Saturday morning was a wonderful morning at home. No plans, no schedule, a wonderful morning run, and a flat of plants to get my hands dirty. Of course as always my helper was in tow.
I think he was saying "What....what mom?" after I asked him to smile. He likes to mess with me.

Having some fun with my camera features.

Jon doing his duty and brushing Callie. Harvey was being his wonderful little self in the stroller. 



Isn't he sweet......





Wyatt trying out golf. It was interesting.

Then after a turn of events (long long story) we ended up at the Watertown Zoo.

Nana Jo was my partner in crime as daddy was in the field. 
Here is one of the many peacocks. This guy was putting on a show. Hmm.....maybe for the little lady in white?
A little time on the playground.....
Thanks Nana Jo for a fun time at the Zoo! (Mommy thanks you for your extra energy)

Harvey is getting so big. Doesn't he look like he wants to say "Yah, look at me in the excersaucer! I'm cool!"
AND now the poem that every mother should memorize:

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton


Thanks mom for reminding me about what really is important!










3 comments:

  1. Jessica, I REALLY needed to read that poem! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to hang a copy of it on my fridge. Your boys are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am struck by how grown up Wyatt is! Is it just the contrast with Harvey, or is he becoming a little man very quickly? They are so precious!
    Auntie M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have kids, but I love the poem- I will keep that in mind for the future!

    ReplyDelete