I've had a lot of "mental shifts" as I call them, over the last week. I define a mental shift, as "a change or challenge to my preprogrammed thinking or current state of mine." Some were exciting, some too overwhelming to process and some peaceful. Here they are in no particular order.
#1
My dear friend from college Michelle, (middle) was diagnosed with an aggressive breast cancer two weeks ago two days before her 30th birthday. I was able to visit Mayo Clinic with her and our other bestie Karen. The three of us were close knit roommates and even traveled to Australia together for a semester. There is a lot of history with us. She is bravely staring cancer in the face, and we are proclaiming Ephesians 3:20 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!"
You can follow Michelle's journey at: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/michelleferguson1
Please pray for her healing.
Mental Shift #1: Get perspective
#2
We traveled to Algona, IA for the funeral of Jon's Great Grandmother.
His Great Grandmother was 93. She was a well loved woman who touched many lives
as a nurse, mother, grandmother and friend.
as a nurse, mother, grandmother and friend.
The picture is a few of Jon's many cousins on his mothers side of the family
that were able to attend the funeral.
that were able to attend the funeral.
Mental Shift # 2 Make a difference every day - start with the small things
Some bonus pics from our trip to Algona.
Here's the 12th attempt at a family picture where Wyatt is looking at the camera. We settled for this one
Me and my boys. I hope to make a difference for them.
I didn't have to do any mental thinking on this one. I always do ice cream!
#3
I finally had some time to do some gardening (& it wasn't raining)!
My helper Wyatt always shows up when there is dirt!
My helper Wyatt always shows up when there is dirt!
Harvey helped as well...he slept!
Had to sneak under the netting and get a picture of his sweet face!
Unfornately, when I was capturing Harvey's sweet face Wyatt decided to add more dirt to the pot.....on top of the flowers. He was so sweet about being helpful I couldn't even be mad.
I forgot how much gardening is therapy for me. I think all the long dark winter days got to me.
Being pregnant didn't help either. I became a complete pile!!
Digging in the dirt, pulling weeds, potting flowers and breathing fresh air reminded me again of who I am.
Being pregnant didn't help either. I became a complete pile!!
Digging in the dirt, pulling weeds, potting flowers and breathing fresh air reminded me again of who I am.
Mental Shift #3 Get your hands dirty!
#4
This is Wyatt and Harvey with Great Grandma Midge. We went to visit her and Grandpa Harvey yesterday. Grandma had chocolate chip cookies for us! And she spent time outside playing with Wyatt. She is 83.
Mental Shift #4 Always stop to have a cookie (another one I rarely have to think about)
and NEVER stop playing.
It's been a full week.
I summarized and simplified my thought processing for you,
but there has been a lot rolling and turning through this mommy brain.
I'm glad I'm not in control of any of it.
Mental Shift #4 Always stop to have a cookie (another one I rarely have to think about)
and NEVER stop playing.
It's been a full week.
I summarized and simplified my thought processing for you,
but there has been a lot rolling and turning through this mommy brain.
I'm glad I'm not in control of any of it.
It's now 11:52 p.m. so this is just for smiles....
It worked didn't it... One more...
2 1/2 month check up this week 13.7 lbs!!
Our little pork chop!
Our little pork chop!
And with that I say good night and go to put this tired mind to bed!
Thanks for sharing - always nice to have reminders to enjoy the "simpler" things in life. And, yes, the picture of cute little Harvey brought a smile to my face...twice! :)
ReplyDelete