Monday, June 28, 2010

This One is For Casey!

Hello! This post is for Casey. Casey is my brother who is flying very fast jets in Texas. I think he broke the sound barrier last week. He misses the farm and likes when I put pictures of the cows and tractors. So this one is for him. If it wasn't I would have titled it "A little rodeo on the Farm!"

Here is Dad and Jon (Sorry you can't see them real well - I need a larger zoom) sorting the one with the bad foot out so they can give her a shot. 


Here is Wyatt watching from the fence. My little beach boy cowboy in sandals and a beach hat watching the action.
Here is Wyatt and I watching. I had just finished my run (1 1/2 weeks until the 5K) that is why I am red, sweaty and an ipod ear phone is hanging from me.




Here is Dad trying to get the 2nd heifer with a bad foot in to the loading chute area to give it a shot. It's called "Foot Rot". For you non farm people it happens when the heifer scrapes it's foot and then stands in mud, water, etc...this causes an infection.

I did not get pictures of the action...but here is what happened in a nut shell. They got the heifer in the smaller pen and they were trying to get here into an even smaller area so they could pinch her tight and administer the shot. Well when Dad had his back turned to fasten the gate she charged him and he had to climb the gate (thanks to my shouts of warning ). When they finally did get her contained in a smaller area she was still pretty wild, made me nervous running, pacing and getting jumpy. Well after all the work to get her in there, she broke through the boards and got back into the big pen. 

Here is Dad and Jon looking bewildered "What just happened?"

I missed the action because I have learned in life do not get in the way of men working cattle, unless they tell you exactly what to do. And I was told nothing so I stayed in a safe location that could cause no problems. 

Sounds like we'll be putting up some new boards. Well not me but probably Jon.

(My editor in chief has updated me that the boards are already up!!)

Here is the first heifer they worked. She was very complacent and well behaved. She had some nice weeds to eat down. Yum!


Here's my favorite little cowboy wanna be!

 This is usually where he is headed...for the tractor.



The boys! Going to see if there are any boards to fix the fence.

More pictures of the "girls". This is last Saturday night after our mega down pour storm.


The water going over the road at the lake.

Lots of water! 3 inches in less than an hour.

Okay well I've gotten totally off subject now but posted a lot of great photos for Casey to see his "homeland". We miss you Casey, Laura and Noah!





1 comment:

  1. Great pics Jess- I hope Casey sees them!! Will make him homesick- maybe he will fly his T-38 home to see -

    ReplyDelete